Okay, I haven't done very well with posting regularly...hopefully I'll do better in July! I'm jumping forward, now, to some of my present-day learning: gym class.
I am living in Ottawa for the summer, and I decided I wanted to keep working on my "sporty" learning...not only is it good for me and a way to meet people here, but my husband is forever pushing me to work on my sporty skills (he's rather sporty himself). So I signed up for a women's parks and rec program called "It's Never Too Late For Sports". Advertised as a way to learn some sports skills, I thought it would be a great introduction to a variety of sports, and I would (hopefully) not feel awkward in front of the other people (since the other people had signed up to learn, just like me!).
Turns out to be a lot of fun! And, amazingly, I am more coordinated and sporty than some of the other women! Since it's an intro class, everyone is pretty laid back about winning and points, and there's lots of encouragement and cheering when you do something well. We spend the first half hour learning some skills and doing drills, and the second half-hour playing the game (usually somewhat modified, since there are usually only 6 of us). As you can see, it is very much like gym class...we (as a class) decided that calling it "gym class" is a much more accurate (and less cringe-inducing) name than "it's never too late for sports", so we're going with it. So far, we have played beach volleyball (okay), field hockey (so hard!! but fun), and beach badminton (the wind is problematic). Tomorrow, we play soccer-baseball...see, just like gym class. The main difference is that the super-athletic kids aren't dominating the game and pushing to win, so you can actually learn something. In fact, I've had such a good experience that I'm going to sign up for the July session!
No comments:
Post a Comment