If you've read my "About Me", you have an inkling of why I've decided to write this blog. If not, go read it! Or, just read below...
Basically, I've never enjoyed the learning process (or, at least, not that I can remember). I feel uncomfortable not being good at things, and ESPECIALLY uncomfortable when other people are watching me not being good at things. Even more so if those people are important to me...which means I have a hard time learning from the people with whom I am closest, like my Dad and my best friends and my husband. I know, this sounds ridiculous: all of those people don't care that I'm going to make mistakes, they just want to help me learn something new! And I can see that from the outside, with the logical part of my brain, but the irrational part says that I need to be good at things right away. As you can imagine, this makes the learning process somewhat challenging for both me and whoever is helping me learn.
Sometime around the time I turned thirty (about 2-1/2 years ago now), I realized that I had to figure out a way to enjoy learning, or I wasn't going to continue to learn new things...and I love knowing new things! So I decided to make a conscious effort to continue learning: sign up for classes, ask friends to show me things, jump in whenever the opportunity presented itself. And hopefully, by pushing myself to keep learning, I would figure out how to enjoy the process (or at least hate it less!).
So this blog will be a record of my progess...I'm going to start with an update of the past 2-1/2 years: what I've learned so far, how it's going. Then I plan on writing about my ongoing learning and where it's taking me. Hope you'll join me on the journey!
What a great idea! I know where you're coming from on feeling uncomfortable about not knowing how to do things... I look forward to following your adventures in learning!
ReplyDelete